Thursday, February 19, 2015

Protein Powder Banana Breads

My main focus in the morning is ingesting as much caffeine as I possible can as quickly as I can so I can get the household up and running, lunches packed and kids out the door to school. Like many other moms I don't have much time left over to eat breakfast myself. This was never a problem before I started weight training and adding protein to my diet. I LOATHE most protein shakes due to their chalky texture and horrible smell, so I am always looking for other options to get as much as I can without causing myself to gag. I went out in search of banana bread recipes with protein powder added to the mix. Below is two tried and true recipes...both being good. One is obviously healthier being there is only oat flour(ground up rolled oats) and no flour. It also called for 6 packets of Stevia but I would rather eat something natural rather than chemicals so I substituted 1/2 a cup of sugar. It was really good.. texture was a bit gooey but I kinda like my baked goods like that. The other recipe with flour was more "breadlike" and drier but also good. Both great options for a pre-gym snack!
RECIPE 1 (on right /flour free) bake 375 @ 1 hr (depending on type of pan used )
2 mashed bananas
1 cup oat flour (ground oats in blender)
2 scoops protein powder (vanilla, banana or cake flavored)
1 cup nonfat greek yogurt
3 large egg whites (or 1/2 cup egg beaters)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
6-8 packets stevia (or 1/2 cup sugar)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

RECIPE 2 (on left/with flour) -  bake 1 hour & 15 minutes @ 350
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
2 eggs
3 mashed bananas
1/2 cup milk
1tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 scoops protein powder (vanilla, banana or cake flavored)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped walnuts