Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Please Look After Mom- by Kyung-Sook Shin

So I admit it took me a while to get into this book due to it's translation and every other chapter being written in the second person... but I am sooooo glad I kept on. New Years Day night I stayed up till 2 am reading and crying until I finished this book. I dont know what it is about me, but I sure do LOVE books that make me cry. This book follows the life of the Korean mother born in the 1936 that was married off to a man against her wishes out of which she bore several children in horrible conditions often by herself.  She cultivated and worked her fingers to the bone for her family, always putting herself last.. viewing it as her duty. She was never given the value and respect she deserved until she was gone. After all her kids grew up and left,she was left to her old age and deteriorating health & mind which noone took the time to notice. On a trip to visit her children in the city she got left behind at the subway. The remainder of the book is the families remorse and the memories brought to the surface while they are in search of her. The last 2 chapters fill you in on so much of her life and emotions that she kept to hidden. It dives deep down into the dark feelings many mothers feel but never speak of. The perspective of each character coming to terms with the loss of their mother and how they treated her, what they learned from her ect. is so deep and intense that I find it unmatched! I highly recommend this book.