Thursday, January 19, 2012

Room written by: Emma Donoghue

Another AMAZING book that kept me up till 3 am which is a big problem when you wake up everyday @ 6am. I am soooo exhausted today and I really have to stop doing this but it was seriously sooo good I just HAD to finish it to see what was going to happen. I have to admit I was actually STRESSED OUT reading this book and I truly felt the adrenaline and my heart was pounding!!  Funny huh? That is the definition of a good book! In the beginning I didn’t think I was going to like it and was wondering why the author chose to write in the voice of an uneducated 5 year old boy but boy did I get it by the end. It gave me such insight and a new perspective by looking at things through the mind of a child.  This book is about a 19 year old woman who was kidnapped and held hostage in a small shed in her captor’s backyard for 7 years.  She is continuously sexually assaulted by the man resulting in the birth a baby. This child lives in the horrible conditions of this room for 5 years with his mom and never knew there was an outside world until his mom gets him to be brave to trick the kidnapper and free them both. But their struggles only get worse from there….. Wonderful wonderful book!